There’s no question that the Lutheran Church of Honolulu is blessed with many talented musicians, artists, and scholars. Among them is Carol Langner, who has sung in the choir for over 30 years, and is now retired from the Art Department of the University of Hawaii. In recent years, Carol has become “The Queen of the Bulletin Boards” for her beautiful and stunning displays in the LCH courtyard.
On the occasion of the Bach Mass in B Minor, Carol put up a bulletin board called “Cantate Domino” (Sing to the Lord) which detailed the history of not only the church, but its music program, beginning with music directors/organists Heinrich “Henry” Berger and Erich Kahl. The Lutheran Church of Honolulu had its beginnings (1900) in a downtown building on Beretania Street, now the site of the Department of Health, and did not move to the Punahou Street campus until 1953. (Yes, it’s that same Department of Health building where people who are born in Hawaii, like President Barack Obama, get copies of their birth certificate! One of the apartment buildings Obama lived in as a child abuts LCH’s Poki Street parking lot!)
Carol also dug up an old picture of Carl and myself from 1977, pictured in front of the other positiv organ which served as an interim instrument before the big Beckerath was built. That little organ was sold to Holy Innocents Episcopal Church in Lahaina, Maui, and Carl had just finished playing the dedication recital on it when this picture was taken. (P.S. When was the last time you saw someone wearing a carnation lei?)
She also posted this more recent picture of us, although it was not taken last fall as stated in the bulletin board caption, but in 2007 when Carl was the honoree at the Hawaii Vocal Arts Ensemble ‘Crescendo’ fundraiser.
A sampling of some of the Bach posters filled up the rest of the board, including color copies of the St. Matthew and St. John Passion flyers. as well as the Mass in B-Minor poster.
Boy, have we left a paper trail!